News Archive for 2006
23 Dec 06 - A sideways look at Stansted Airport Top
Idiosyncratic novelist and social commentator, Will Self, writes in The Independent.
The Independent - Greetings from Stansted
29 Nov 06 - Uttlesford turns down BAA's plans Top
Uttlesford District Council decided unanimously to refuse BAA (British Airports Authority) permission to increase the number of flights on the existing runway to a maximum of 35 million passengers a year. BAA's managing director, Terry Morgan, promised that BAA would launch an immediate appeal and take the case to a public enquiry.
From the national press:
The Times - Stansted expansion fails to take off
The Guardian - In praise of ... Uttlesford District Council
29 Nov 06 - Inspector publishes provisional report on the Local Plan Top
The Planning Inspector, Ava Wood, published her conclusions in the draft East Herts Local Plan. This plan is the development blueprint for the district up to the year 2011.
- Green Belt not to be extended to include Areas of Special Restraint (ASRs)
- The Whittington Way site to retain its green belt status and not be redesignated as an educational site
- No change to the definition of ASRs
- Hadham Road reserve secondary shcool site only to be released for housing if sufficient additional school capacity is provided elsewhere
- Wrong to remove Bishop's Stortford Footbal Club site at Woodside, Dunmow Road from Green Belt as it helps to keep the town separated from the M11
- All airport parking should be kept within Stansted terminal site