Objections to Proposed Relocation of Schools based on Adverse Noise Impacts New!
Letter to Head of Development Control at East Herts District Council
East Herts District Council
|24 August 2010|
APPLICATION TO BUILD TWO NEW SCHOOLS AT WHITTINGTON WAY, BISHOP'S STORTFORD - REFERENCE 3/10/1012/OP
I am writing to object to this application due to the unsuitability of the site for new secondary schools based upon adverse noise impacts.
I attach my Environmental Noise Assessment Report dated August 2010 which sets out the detailed reasons for objection. In summary I believe that:
- The noise climate at the Whittington Way site is dominated by aircraft noise such that it is currently marginal whether the constructional standards for the acoustics of new schools could be met.
- The applicant has failed to take proper account of all the possible future changes to the noise climate and the available published information.
- The Sharp Redmore Partnership (SRP) noise report accompanying the application has omitted to address all the necessary relevant noise criteria and guidance. Furthermore, the SRP report has incorrectly interpreted relevant guidance and underestimates the adverse noise exposure at the site.
- Any expansion of Stansted airport would degrade the noise climate.
- There are new flight paths in the pipeline for Stansted and Luton which, based upon previous evidence, would degrade the noise climate still further.
- There is sufficient material evidence to refuse this application on the grounds of adverse noise exposure in a school environment.
I should like to attend the special Development Control Meeting in September and request that I be allowed to speak with a brief summary of my reasons for objection based on the noise issues. If Council officers or members have any questions on my attached report, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Yours faithfullyMartin Peachey
I have lived in the Bishop’s Stortford area since 1973 and both my sons attended school in Bishop’s Stortford.
I am a member of the Department for Transport’s Aircraft Noise Monitoring Advisory Committee, the technical adviser to the Stansted Airport Consultative Committee on noise and track keeping matters, a member of the BAA Stansted Noise and Track Keeping Working Group, the noise adviser to Stop Stansted Expansion and the noise adviser to the Bishop’s Stortford Civic Federation.